Friday, August 24, 2018

WDSS?

When I embarked on my journey of faith, I had faith that the people who were teaching me knew the answers. I was, after all, only 9 years old. If you can't start out trusting your parents and your teachers, then it's guaranteed to be an uphill slog all the way. It does not escape my notice that I was a "very fortunate one" to have been born into the family I was. Many years later, I realize that is not necessarily the norm for many people. Because of this, relationships with other people can be a challenge, not to mention how it affects one's relationship with our Creator, YHVH.  But, I digress...

Much, much later I have come to be aware of a Biblical truth that, having been raised in a denomination that did not spend a lot of time exploring and figuring out how to apply to principles taught in what the Christian church calls "The Old Testament", we have essentially "inherited lies."

The Scriptures 2009 translates Jeremiah 16:19 like this:
O יהוה, my strength and my stronghold and my refuge, in the day of distress the nations shall come to You from the ends of the earth and say, “Our fathers have inherited only falsehood, futility, and there is no value in them.”
While New King James translates it:
Lord, my strength and my fortress, My refuge in the day of affliction, The Gentiles shall come to You From the ends of the earth and say, “Surely our fathers have inherited lies, Worthlessness and unprofitable things.

The fact that the word things is italicized tells me that the word did not appear in the original language. That may seem like an innocuous thing, but at this point on my faith journey, it frustrates me to realize that translators have, over the centuries, tried to "help us understand" the meaning of scripture and, in some cases, have actually distorted the original intent of a passage. I have come to have a level of distrust of doctrines and practices that have been handed down to us in various churches and denominations over the centuries, and now am trying to apply the adage: WDSS? What Does Scripture Say?

Not having studied Greek or Hebrew in school, and having minimal training in using Strong's Concordance, I am right there with the majority of Bible readers throughout the ages when it comes to being able to understand the original intent of scripture. Or Am I? Granted, there is no shortage of self-proclaimed "'scholars" available on the Internet everywhere you look these days, but I am not referring to some of those dubious teachings. Even with reading scripture in the original language, we are still subject to our denominational bias through which we still subconsciously filter what we read and learn.

So, what can we do in the face of so many obstacles to understanding the Instructions and Principles that YHVH would have us look to as obedient servants? We look to Him.

Down through the ages, Jewish faithful have had the practice of reciting a prayer before and after reading scripture. In my years attending various home and corporate Bible studies, it is often also the norm to offer a prayer asking for wisdom and discernment. This is not a bad habit to have. I would almost venture to say that without His opening our hearts and minds to understanding, we might as well leave The Book to collect dust on the shelf - Except for the fact that Scripture says His word will not return void.

But let's face it. Ancient language scholars aside, in this day and age with instant access online to almost any study guide available, not to mention search engines and Bible translations galore, none of us have any excuse for not searching out the Truth for ourselves. 

Having the courage to walk in it... now, that is another step of faith. 
Therefore the Lord will wait, that He may be gracious to you;
And therefore He will be exalted, that He may have mercy on you.
For the Lord is a God of justice;
Blessed are all those who wait for Him.
* * * * * *
Your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying,
“This is the way, walk in it,”
Whenever you turn to the right hand
Or whenever you turn to the left. - Isaiah 30:18,21 (NKJV)

Baruch Adonai ham’vorach l’olam va-ed.
Baruch atah, Adonai Eloheinu, Melech haolam,
asher bachar banu mikol haamim, v’natan lanu et Torato.
Baruch atah, Adonai, notein haTorah.

Blessed is Adonai who is blessed now and forever.
Blessed are You, Adonai our God, Sovereign of the universe, 
who has chosen us from among the peoples, and given us the Torah. 
Blessed are You, Adonai, who gives the Torah.¹


No comments:

Post a Comment