Sunday, August 26, 2018

Elul 15 :: Priorities

Have you noticed that any time you try to set priorities for yourself, the world comes barging in with distractions? At least, that's how it is for me. In pondering the challenge of today's Elul devotion:
  1. Consider the value of [YHVH's] Instructions for Living...to know what is good and what will have redemptive effect in Creation.
  2. Do you believe [YHVH] is calling you to increase or change the amount or quality of time you dedicate to reading and studying His Written Word?

Having set before myself for the next month plus to stay off of social media and spend more time studying God's written word, I was fully aware that it was not going to be an easy transition. It's not like I've never gone on a fast before. However, unlike a fast from food in which one can make a conscious choice about putting food in one's mouth - or not - abstaining from media in this day and age would involve keeping earplugs in and staying in bed. Unless you live in a cave, that's not going to happen.

Setting priorities is one thing. Removing yourself from all distraction and temptation is another. And to what purpose? I realize that Jesus/Yeshua went off into the wilderness for 40 days to fast and pray, but he also wasn't holding down two jobs that required he show up for work and spend 8 hours on the computer 5 days a week. So I don't think the cave or wilderness is the answer here. A better solution than removing yourself from all likelihood of distraction would be to ask for discernment and discipline to recognize and turn from the distractions. Let's face it, they come dressed so innocently, a text message from a friend in crisis, an opportunity to spend time with a loved one.

Hear me: I am NOT saying those opportunities should be refused in order to spend time with my Bible in my lap and my earplugs in. That would surely be a prime example of "being so heavenly-minded that we're no earthly good." Instead of viewing them as distractions, wouldn't it be better to view them as opportunities to put the wisdom I am learning to work to "have redemptive effect in Creation"?

Personally, I think that once I can start recognizing them as such, the adversary isn't going to try nearly as hard to throw so many my way.

...be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God. Romans 12:2b (NKJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment