Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Elul :: Asleep in the Light


One of my favorite Keith Green songs from his album No Compromise goes in part like this:
The world is sleeping in the dark,
That the church just can't fight,
'cause it's asleep in the light!
How can you be so dead?!
When you've been so well-fed
Jesus rose from the grave,
And you! You can't even get out of bed!

I always feel convicted every time I hear that song. Admittedly, I don't hear it much these days, as it was released in 1978 and doesn't get much air time anymore, especially since Keith died in 1982. I want my mind to be boggled that this song didn't make it to the list 11 Keith Green Songs That Changed Worship Music, but I get why it didn’t. A song that challenges our lukewarm complacency is not exactly a song that gets our spiritual vibes revved up. But today's Elul devotional brought it to mind as I read Light Shines in the Darkness.

In the darkness... we "are like one-year-old children who attempt to play hide-and-seek by covering their own eyes, assuming that if they cannot see others, then others cannot see them." The problem is that we try to live our lives like that - until someone switches on the light and we see things as they are: "All your soiled places, all your spots, stains, wrinkles, and blemishes become visible."
But stepping into the Light is a good thing. It forces us to face the "inadequacy of [our] coping mechanisms" and causes us to want to change. The more I get into this introspection and start examining the darkness I have let creep into my life, the more I am challenged to seek out the light. One of the "Challenges" for today is to "shine HIS light on what [I] have been prioritizing, ...spending [my] spare time doing, ...spending non-essential money to purchase, ...allowing [my] mind to think about..."
I've got to admit, there's a bit of a glare.
Thank you, Christine Miller.

2 comments:

  1. Don't you have a love/hate relationship with the light?
    When it's all cleaned up and the light is on, what a wonderful feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where so many of us get stuck is the "wanting to change." It's so easy to rationalize away the fact that we might be in the dark.

    ReplyDelete