Thursday, August 30, 2018

Elul 19 :: Dream On!

I know there are some who claim they never dream. I admit, I am skeptical of those claims. I don't normally remember my dreams much past when I wake up, and if I do, they are so muddled and convoluted, they rarely make much sense when I try to recount them aloud. Usually though, they evaporate as soon as I become fully conscious.

There are others who vividly dream and recall their dreams in great detail. I will admit, I am also often skeptical of those claims as well. Most likely because that is not my own experience, and I find it hard to relate. But having recently finished reading the book of Daniel and some of his fantastic dreams, I have to wonder what that might be like.

Jacob, Joseph, and later Daniel were just a few of the more "famous" dreamers of old. Today's Elul devotional from The Rabbi's Son reflects:
A world without dreamers would subject all signs of spiritual life to repetitive forms of mind-controlling religion.

...to people who have - and aspire to - no personal relationship with [YHVH]... a receiver of dreams is... a threat to their chosen forms of pleasant deception.

For us to accord validity to dreams involves acknowledging the existence of the One behind the dreams and considering ourselves accountable to that One. It also involves admitting that we don't have all the answers and there might just be more to Life that we have imagined or experienced.

After considering those observations, I can only come to one conclusion:  There is already enough of mind-controlling religion out there in the world today as well as way too many people who think they have all the answers but are not accountable to anyone, so, let's have more dreamers!


No comments:

Post a Comment