Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Elul 10 :: A Walk in the Park

"Imagine yourself going for a walk in a park with a close friend.  How would you interact with that friend in the course of [the walk]..."

In considering the Bible character Enoch, and the report in Genesis that he "walked with God", it is tempting to think we can imagine what that might have been like. A stroll through the woods or park on a pleasant afternoon with your best friend is the image that comes to my mind. I am happily in the habit of doing just that with my husband and family during the various seasons of the year. 

But, somehow, I would have to think that having the opportunity to walk with YHVH takes the concept of "a walk in the park" to a whole new level. I sincerely doubt that I would be wasting my time talking about the frustrations of work, or where we might go for vacation, or if we should trade in the car, or stop at the taco truck on the way home to grab a bite. I probably would not even be musing about the abundant and various plant life, wondering how the native tribes from our area knew to prepare such things as tubers and grasshoppers, or speculating as to exactly which glen was used in the filming of scenes from Robin Hood in our local park back in 1922.
Bidwell Park, 2018
Rather, I'd like to hope I would be using the amazing opportunity of a walk in the park with my Creator to focus on deeper subjects, topics with eternal significance. And I certainly want to imagine that I would be more concerned with learning how to see things from His point of view than merely being distracted by the beauty surrounding me. 

The things that I really want to know the answers to would probably fade away in an instant as my perspective shifted and I had the chance to catch a glimpse of something bigger than my little self. 
Bidwell Park, 2018


No comments:

Post a Comment