Saturday, August 25, 2018

Elul 14 :: What We Value

"Think of a wedding anniversary. We remember and commemorate our wedding anniversary because we highly value what happened on that very special day."

Oh... I wish I had heard this comparison before the last time I had a conversation about observing the Sabbath with someone. I was made to understand that I was being legalistic and they were much more enlightened than I, because they "could observe any day as the Sabbath", since their "rest is in Christ." When a conversation goes in that direction, you might as well change the subject because it is no longer an exchange of thoughts and ideas; it has at that point become a defense of their position.

Perhaps I was being overly sensitive, but I really don't think so. I had officially had my opinions dismissed as irrelevant. Now I wonder if I had made the same comparison when it came to celebrating a birthday or anniversary, how different the response might have been.

Because, according to today's Elul devotion, how much value we assign to an event is the key factor in how important that event is to us. Recently, I happened upon a lovely calendar which I downloaded and will be printing for my own use. Understanding the Appointed Times of YHWH is available at Love and Instruction's website and they have put a lot of effort into making it a work of art as well as a great reference for information about God's appointed times. I love what they have to say about the Sabbath:

In our fast paced society, this special day is a true gift; a time when we set aside the worries of our lives and lay our burdens down, as we come together with friends and family for a “Holy Convocation” to relax with our Creator and be renewed and refreshed by His Spirit and His Word.

Today's devotion with The Rabbi's Son describes it this way:
The Creator and man spent time that day doing nothing but enjoying each other’s company and delighting in each other’s presence.

So tell me please, if I were using that same word picture to describe my honeymoon, or a day set apart to spend with a beloved family member celebrating a special day, would I still be "legalistic"? Somehow I'm guessing the answer would be No. 

But by far, the most head-scratching answer - and one I most frequently hear is: But I can worship God any day..." Yes. Of course you can - and should! However, Richard Rives at Too Long in the Sun puts it this way:
The fourth commandment has absolutely nothing to do with religious activity on any certain day.
In fact, it is just the opposite, it is a day of rest, prescribed by God.  
We should worship God every day.
The Sabbath was established at the time of the creation of the world.
It is not the Jewish Sabbath or the Christian Sabbath; 
it is God’s Sabbath.
Thank you. You took the words right out of my mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment