Tuesday, August 6, 2019

You Might Find This Offensive

I like to read, and I'm always on the lookout for a good book. Having a few relatives who are librarians comes in handy here.

With my bookshelves full and overflowing with books (not counting the boxes full of books in my storage unit), coupled with the fact that I am in the throes of downsizing in order to retire and move out of our not-so-spacious apartment and into an even-less-spacious travel trailer, well, let's just say I have taken to relying a lot more on our local library and e-books than ever before.
Now, instead of capping off each trip to Costco with the obligatory stroll through their book section with an eye to a new acquisition, instead I am looking for suggestions for my next book request from the library. (Sorry to all my family and friends who earn their living by working for Costco.)

I recently had the opportunity to talk about books with my librarian sister, who just happens to be serving her last term as reader on a statewide committee which determines "Book of the Year" in her state. In her capacity as a reader, she has the enviable task (or possibly unenviable, depending on your bent) of reading over 50 submissions for nominees any particular year. In so doing,  she will obviously be reading from numerous genres, including poetry, children's books, historical... all categories that she might not normally read.

So, when she shares the title of a particular book that has left a favorable impression, I take note. I also took note of the comment which accompanied her recommendation: "You might find it offensive." Honestly, I had to chuckle inwardly. I can't even recall exactly what she thought might offend me. I was too busy ruminating on the fact that anyone besides myself - even someone who has know me for 60+ years, would think they knew what might offend me. 

In the first place, I didn't realize I was easily offended.

In the second place, I was a little surprised that someone would think me so narrow-minded.

Do I have opinions and thoughts on a myriad of topics?  If you've wasted any time trolling through my comments throughout the years, you'll know the answer to that. Do I think I am always right? Mmm... not so much. That is why I do choose to read books, listen to podcasts, or even watch movies that might possibly contain controversial content. I have my opinions and thoughts... I am willing to entertain that I might not have the last word on a given topic... But my bottom line is that I weigh what I read or hear against one standard. What does the Bible say?

If that makes me narrow-minded, I guess I will just have to live with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment