Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Goals

Reading today in Romans. I don't know why it's taking me so long to get through Romans this time. Maybe it's because I'm stopping frequently to chew on what I've read. I've been in it for over a week and I am only on chapter 10. Having just read verses 1 through 4, my thoughts turned to the definition of goal.
Truly Brothers, my heart's desire and prayer to Elohim for Israel is for deliverance. For I bear them witness that they have an ardour for Elohim, but not according to knowledge. For not knowing the righteousness of Elohim, and seeking to establish their own righteousness, they did not subject themselves to the righteousness of (did not obey) Elohim. For Messiah is the goal of the Torah unto righteousness to everyone who believes.

So my question here is this: why do people who read this verse assume that it means that Jesus nailed the perfect instructions of God to the cross?

That is not what I'm reading here at all. I never played football in school, but I played plenty of scrimmages on the front lawn with my brother and neighbor kids. I know what a goal is - it is something that you are aiming for. It is the purpose of trying to get that ball, and it's what you run toward. Once you get the ball across the goal line, that does not end the game. So why do people use that analogy and equate that to the Torah being done away with?

That is what I'm chewing on today.

No comments:

Post a Comment