Thursday, August 15, 2019

Strange Developments

Last year during the weeks leading up to the Feasts, I conducted a small personal experiment of staying away from most of social media in order to fine tune my focus on things that mattered, and writing daily on lessons I had learned.

This year, I did not set out to fine tune anything, I have been too busy trying to keep my head above water to concentrate on anything more than putting one foot in front of the other. Summer is a busy time in the property management industry in a college town.

And then something happens that I have been day-dreaming about, but certainly wasn't expecting to happen any time soon - we are now gearing up to move. And not just any move, but a major "minimalizing-downsizing" move from a 2 bedroom, 850 square foot apartment to a travel trailer with less than 300 square feet. Oh, and did I mention we have been here for 14-1/2 years?

Yes, 14 years of accumulating more stuff than we could possibly need or use, which I now have the pleasure of sorting and sifting through to decide what can actually fit into 300 square feet, and what I can very well live without!
Toward that end, I have been making weekly treks to Salvation Army donation center with my backseat loaded with boxes of above-mentioned "stuff", and up and down my stepladder more times than I care to count, bringing down dusty, unused kitchen and bath supplies from every cupboard and closet.

Yesterday, I pulled down and dusted off 9 (count-em, NINE!) hat boxes. And mind you, several of those boxes contain more than just 1 hat!) I'm not talking sun hats (those are hanging on a hook by the door), no - I'm talking full-on fancy pants hats of the sort ladies would wear to church or a tea party. Neither of which I do much of these days. Some lucky lady is going to meander into the Cancer Society Thrift Store one of these days soon and score.

So, all these years I have been watching videos, reading books, and plotting my way to living a simpler life.  Am I prepared? Hardly!

The moral of this little tale?  Be careful what you wish for. Prayers are sometimes answered in the most interesting ways.

1 comment:

  1. I sold six of my vintage hats....
    6 sewing machines, for or five tubs of fabric, blah blah blah.
    Sometimes when your dream happens, you're not actually ready. It's Adonai saying, "Come on....keep up." Stay in the here and now, don't roll around in the past. Sigh, okay.

    ReplyDelete