Friday, August 9, 2019

M*A*?*A*

Unless you have your head buried in the sand, it is virtually impossible to avoid seeing political slogans everywhere you turn. We have another year+ of this, I'm afraid. Last week I saw an entire family (with about 6 kids in tow) proudly walking into our local Big Box Store, all wearing matching red MAGA hats and t-shirts. I admired their bravery for taking a bold stand in declaring their beliefs, knowing full well they could possibly be assaulted just for their statement alone.
That's the world we live in right now - sad but true.

Today I ran into Trader Joe's to grab a few things for salad-making tonight and was confronted with a slogan that was new to me: Make America Kind Again. Wouldn't that be nice?

As I was online Googling my salad recipe, curiosity got the better of me, and I also Googled "Make America Kind Again", wondering if it was also a movement or indicative of a particular political bent. (Seriously, I do not keep up with this stuff, so pardon my naïvete.) Yeah - it was probably too good to be true, to propose that people can just be kind without an agenda.

Of course, there is no shortage of people wanting to jump on any particular bandwagon these days, I even came across "Make America Straight Again", "Make America Godly Again", "Make America Juicy Again" (not kidding - apparently they think we don't drink enough beer.)

While I do think it would be lovely if we could achieve kindness, a possibly better (and even more improbable) goal might be:
Make America Humble Again.


2 comments:

  1. Was America ever humble?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly way back in the beginning when the Puritans landed. Certainly no humility to be seen in Jamestown. But it was more tongue-in-cheek. We need humility more than we need "greatness"

      Delete