Thursday, September 20, 2018

Learning Curve :: Day of Atonement

This year, for the first time, I was able to actually observe Yom Kippur by taking the day off work and fasting. It finally dawned on me that all I had to do was request a "vacation day." Simple as that. As I did not grow up in anything close to what some may call "The Jewish Culture," I sometimes struggle with the balance between what scripture says in regard to The Lord's Days and what has evolved through time and tradition.

There is no shortage of opinions as to what we "should do," as people who believe that, (a) The Whole Bible is true, and (b) We should live as if we believe it still is valid for our lives today. Again, I find myself butting my head against tradition vs. truth. Except, this time, we have "new" traditions, tailor made for us by a new set of self-appointed pseudo-Sanhedrin.
So, for me, it's back to scripture. (What does the Bible say?)

Leviticus 16: 29-31
“This shall be a statute forever for you: In the seventh month, on the tenth day of the month, you shall afflict your souls, and do no work at all, whether a native of your own country or a stranger who dwells among you. For on that day the priest shall make atonement for you, to cleanse you, that you may be clean from all your sins before the Lord. It is a sabbath of solemn rest for you, and you shall afflict your souls. It is a statute forever.
Numbers 29:7
‘On the tenth day of this seventh month you shall have a holy convocation. You shall afflict your souls; you shall not do any work. 

Other than the sacrifices that the High Priest was to make for himself and the people, which can no longer be performed for the simple fact that there is no longer a temple (and elsewhere in scripture YHVH forbids offering sacrifices in any other location), it boils down to some pretty simple instructions:
  1. afflict your souls
  2. do no work at all - a sabbath of solemn rest
  3. have a holy convocation
Like I said, pretty simple. Right?

EXCEPT: 
  • What exactly does it mean to "afflict" my soul?
  • How do I "do no work at all" when I am a wife and work two jobs?
  • Where and with whom do I have a "holy convocation"?
And in an honest attempt to flesh out those three simple guidelines while living in a nation that is not following the scriptures in this way, that is where we can get tripped up with tradition. 
This year, for me it looked like this: 
  • Sleep in (all the way til 7 a.m.!)
  • Pass on the morning ritual of coffee
  • Read my Bible
  • Read a study on Galatians and make notes
  • Ignore the impulse to check social media
  • Listen to worship music
  • Watch a teaching video about Yom Kippur
  • Take a short nap
  • Put dinner in the crockpot (without tasting - that was a challenge!)
  • Ask Alexa what time was sunset
  • Take a walk
  • Spend time in the garden
  • Ignore the impulse to play a game on the computer
  • Read my Bible
  • Take a longer nap
  • Read more study and make more notes
  • Text my friend who is also walking through this experience for the first time to see how she was doing
  • Pick up my husband from a friend's house
  • Spend time with my husband after he got home
  • Periodically look at my watch to see if it was time to eat
  • Set the table, light the candles, and eat
  • Bless YHVH for the time I was able to devote to spending with Him
  • Wonder why it took me so long to do this! 
Still taking baby steps.

1 comment:

  1. It was my second. But the first one seemed more motions than heat and brain.

    ReplyDelete