Monday, December 16, 2019

Practicing Contentment - Not always as easy as you think!

When I started out sorting my thoughts into what would morph into this blog space, I chose "Practice Contentment" as my title, since that was my ultimate aim. To learn to be content with what I was given. Sometimes I am given more than I can have imagined, sometimes I have just enough of what I need. In all those places, I want my goal to be gratefulness, contentment, peace.

I'm not saying I'm perfect or that I always achieve my goal, but that doesn't change my goal, it just changes my course, or my approach. The goal is still the same. I am the one who needs to make the adjustment.

And that is where I find myself today, as furniture and long-unused items are walking out my front door - some to points unknown. What do I do with a 50-year-old folk guitar that was for many years part of my identity, but I can no longer play due to arthritic hands? All the books I have lovingly collected and curated over the years languish in boxes in storage, since my bookshelves have likewise left the building. I think Friends of the Library is about to find themselves the recipients of a truckload of books...

Things like these, the decisions to be made, the possessions to be relinquished... I thought I was ready (and I am), but the decisions are not any the less difficult, for all my readiness. In one sense, it is freeing to let go of the responsibility to care for and catalog all of these material things, on the other hand, part of me is still tied up in the belonging. 

I'm not going to pretend this part of the journey is not without its challenges.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe this is where the saying came from, "Let go and let God."
    It's HARD.

    ReplyDelete