Monday, July 30, 2018

Who Cares What You Call It!

If you were blessed with wise and loving parents, as I was, they were good role models to you. In an ideal world, they were also a picture of what God is to us in life... someone who understands what is best for us, taking the time to instruct us, asking us to obey Him because we love Him... even if we don't always understand the "why." In our Western society, that is not always seen as a desirable thing, because independence and individuality are worshiped as the model to strive after.  OK, maybe worshiped is a strong word, but can you think of a better word to explain why we disregard what our Creator has told us is best for us and instead do what we think we want to do, or what "feels good" for the moment, without any thought to the long-term consequences? 

Remember when you were a teen, still living at home, and your friends were going out to have fun together on a weekend? But, your parents told you "No, I don't want you to do that." First is the initial embarrassment at having to tell your friends that your parents didn't want you to participate, accompanied of course by the frustration with your parents because they Just.Don't.Understand. It was almost as if your parents didn't want you to have fun, right? Or to have friends. Or a life.

But, now that you are an adult, (hopefully) you see the bigger picture: They already experienced their own mistakes, and maybe they didn't know how to talk about it, but they loved you and they wanted you to be safe.
Darn! Poor us! We grew up having no stories to tell about getting pulled over for being underage with open containers. We have no mug shots preventing us from applying for that great job that requires high-security clearance. And, worst of all, we are not languishing in an early grave, cut off from the fullness of life because of impaired judgment behind the wheel.

As we mature, we begin to understand that we have limited understanding about a lot of things: what may feel good or “right” for a moment may not always be in our best interest in the long run. And, incredible as it may seem, many issues in life are not even about US. Another benefit to getting older is that it usually begins to dawn on us that the world does not revolve around us or our desires or time tables. Wouldn’t it be interesting to find out that neither are we in charge of calling the shots on other things in life, such as how we choose to worship our Creator?

Anyone who knows me knows that I do not apologize for being a follower of Jesus/Yeshua. What many do NOT realize is that my walk looks a little different than mainstream. If you have read other of my posts, you realize that I no longer celebrate "Christmas" as the birthday of Yeshua. Neither do I celebrate "Easter" in place of His death and resurrection, which historically took place during Passover and the Feast of Unleavened Bread. And some find that odd, or even sacrilegious. I'm sorry for their misconception, but I just cannot follow those traditions any more. Now that I have a better understanding of what they mean and where they originated, I don't think it's about me and what feels fun or comfortable. It's about being obedient.

Normally, I do not get so vocal about this... mainly because it is not a choice that is always convenient to live out. I have been accused of being legalistic. I have been criticized for supposedly thinking I am somehow more “spiritual” than others. I have been told that I’m just a spoil-sport and it doesn’t really matter when we celebrate those holidays or what we call them, because "God knows our hearts" and He doesn’t care about the day… it’s just a fun tradition…. what’s the harm?

But today, I just want to get a few things laid down, to get them off my chest and spell out clearly where I’m coming from, and hopefully foster some critical thinking. To those who claim I am being legalistic, I say: Is it “legal” or is it “legalistic” to obey a speed limit that is posted for my own good? I say there is nothing wrong with being “legal.” To obey a speed limit (or any other law) for the purpose of earning the right to be called an American citizen would be legalistic... and ludicrous. I am already an American citizen. Obedience to a speed limit created for my safety and well-being is only being smart. Obeying the law doesn’t make you a citizen, it just makes you an obedient citizen.
To those who feel compelled to criticize me and accuse me of thinking I am somehow “judging” them, I say: My obedience has nothing to do with you. You have to be obedient to where God has you on your own journey of listening and obeying. If I have provoked you to consider things from a different perspective, then maybe it's time for you to examine for yourself what God really has to say about it in His own words, and not some doctrinal statement laid down by talking heads who don't want you to  read and think for yourself.

And, if you have been led to believe that God does not have something to say about what days we set apart or how we celebrate them, I simply have to wonder what Bible you are reading and if you really believe that it is indeed God’s revelation of Himself to us. I also wonder how people can justify pulling out just those verses that they will choose to obey, and leave the rest behind. Just as I made the choice to listen to and obey my parents during my adolescence because I had a sneaking suspicion that they actually did care about me and desire what was in my best interest, so do I choose to obey my Creator and trust that He knows what will bring me greatest fulfillment and a closer, more meaningful relationship with Him.

So, this is the part where I tell you why I no longer can in good conscience continue to follow man-made traditions when they are in direct conflict with God-given ones. I know you did not tune into my randomising to hear a sermon or to have Bible verses thrown in your face, but I am willing to guess that if you have made it this far, you are wondering why or how I went off the deep end. So, I will tell you:

If I have decided to be a follower of Yeshua, don’t you think I would do well to look at the whole scripture to get a complete picture of what following Him should look like? Too many people today have been led to believe that it’s O.K. to throw out the greater part of God’s revelation to us. They only accept the “New” covenant, when in fact, the writers of the New Testament are actually referring to what we call the "Old Testament" when they are referring to “All Scripture is breathed out by [God] and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for setting straight, for instruction in righteousness...¹ Don’t throw the baby out with the bath water by disregarding the whole of scripture for determining your doctrine, or what you believe about God.

Start reading it for yourself. 

(Part Two: Let's Talk About Holidays)

¹ 2 Timothy 3.16 (The Scriptures 2009, Institute for Scripture Research)