Wednesday, June 1, 2022

44713 :: Headlines

I will be the first to admit that I do not keep abreast of current events. I used to. I used to tune in to the radio and various talk shows all morning long when I worked at the preschool kitchen, back in the day. I used to keep a list of stores and organizations that I needed to boycott "to send a message." I was able to converse intelligently on who was who and what was what, and could probably have solved most of the world's problems, had anyone cared to ask my opinion.

And then I stopped. I figured out that my voice was really not making any difference in the scope of anyone's life. Furthermore, no one really gave a rip if I shopped at Target or used a certain brand of shampoo. Honestly, these were real issues to me, and I'm sure there are some people out there who still keep track of such things. 

These days, I have a different mindset. The reality is, no one really cares about my opinion but me. Arguing with someone will not change their mind. LISTENING to someone, on the other hand, will show respect and possibly earn me the right to be heard if my opinion is sought out.  

What I think about gun control, school shootings, Amber Heard and Johnny Depp, or the Russians is immaterial in the scope of eternity. On the other hand, how I live my personal beliefs and how I treat others in the process goes a long way toward showing others what I think is really important in this life.

I do not protest or wear knit beanies shaped like lady parts, I do not riot to bring attention to someone's perception of injustice or inequality. I do have my own opinion on hot topics and will share them when asked - unless it's apparent that the other person in the conversation is only interested in brow-beating me with their point of view or intent on belittling my point of view. 

These days I am more interested in living a life that reflects my goal of being a person whose actions are in line with the faith I subscribe to. That does not mean shoving my lifestyle, gender identity, or choice of coffee beans down anyone's throat or harassing them if they do not act like I do. The only thing required to live a life of honesty is to be unapologetically real and give honest answers when someone wonders what I am about. 

You don't have to agree with someone to treat them with respect. 

I do not always get it right, but that is the journey I am on.



No comments:

Post a Comment