Friday, September 27, 2013

I Don't Think So!

I have been told I am rebellious. Maybe I am. Because I can tell you, when someone says "You HAVE to ... [read this book... watch this movie... see this video]...", usually my immediate (if inward) reaction is, "Oh yeah? Try and make me!"
Does that make me rebellious? I don't think so. I think I'm just a literal person, and the statement "you have to [anything]" is the trigger that challenges my individual choice-making. At least to my way of thinking.

Realize: I am completely aware that people mainly are making a rhetorical statement. They obviously don't literally mean to say that I am being compelled to do any such thing. It is their way of expressing approval about the topic at hand.

The problem is that in using that statement, it comes across to those of us who are literal/visual that we are going to be forced to do something. Granted, that something is not usually even an unpleasant thing, but the mere suggestion that I do not have a say in the matter is the issue with me.

I just need to get over myself, I suppose. But is it really too much to ask for people to say what they actually mean?

No comments:

Post a Comment