Monday, August 26, 2013

Examining Our Motives

I have found myself, on more than one occasion, wondering aloud why I seem to be so often misunderstood.

Cruelest of all is the time that you try to do something nice for someone only to have it come back and blow up in your face when your motives are subjected to scrutiny. Never underestimate the power of someone to misunderstand you.

Unfortunately, the reality is that my under-underlying motive is often the unwitting belief that the recipient of my generosity is somehow unable, incapable of doing for themself. Or even worse, they don't understand just how right and kind I am. What a load of kablooie. I realize that is nothing more than my latent "helicopter parent" revving up my motor. Now that I no longer have kids at home to swoop in and rescue, I have broadened my field and look for others who need my wisdom.

Once more, I need to take that key out of the ignition and park this baby in the hanger.

No comments:

Post a Comment